Search This Blog

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Project Nishiki Mixte

I picked up a Nishiki Mixte for my girl friend last year and I love it. It's a little large for her size but she likes it too.



We will be making it into a Mixte ebike in the near future. I'm thinking of going with the classic look on this one much like I plan to do with Project Wayfarer. Leather bag inside frame for battery pack. Maybe a couple small saddle bags attached to a rack. I'll probably wind up using the 1000W two speed motor in the rear with single butted 14ga spokes, and upgrade the chromed steel rims to aluminum. While I'm at it, disk brakes front and back. The one we have is less common since it is a made in Japan model, but it's no collectors item.



I'm still looking for a manufacturer of decent Mixtes for a decent price to add to my product line for a ladies bike. KHS was making a nice one, but I don't see it on their site now. Others I've seen have either been too high priced for what you get, or have a smaller frame area for battery bag. I'll find something I like with the same geometry as this Nashiki eventually.



Photo's found on line. Not actual bike. I need to get a camera working around here again, but this one is pretty close to what we have, and is also a Japanese production model.







These are fast little bikes! I read somewhere that their basic geometry is that of a racing bike. Some of the newer Mixtes I've seen, not so much race in them.




The frames on these older ones were built pretty tough but light. Like a Chicago Schwinn with anorexia.
I'll have to find a newer model that fits the same criteria. Most of them look like tanks.











.


No comments:

Post a Comment