Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Sixthreezero "In The Barrel" With BBS02B Motor And Springer Forks

I'll admit that despite all it's followers who love this little BBS02B 750Wmotor, I was a bit skeptical considering Bafang now has the BBSHD 750-1000W motor available. Now after a couple weeks of cruising around on this bike, I've reconsidered any skepticism I once had.



It's a strong little motor with plenty of torque!



I used a stock motor from China instead of the upgraded one from Luna Cycles because I wanted to see how they compare. It may be a while before I get my Luna version to do the comparison since I have some other motors I need to get for several other bike builds. It may have to wait until this spring when the bike business picks up again at the bike shop. 



For now I'll just have to enjoy the standard model with color display and thumb throttle.



I upgraded the bike with a nickel plated freewheel and nickel KMC chain. I'll also be upgrading the derailleur and revOshifter to a click shifter. The Shimano Rev shifter works pretty good, but I like the quick shifting of a click shifer better for ebike applications.


I wound up buying a bunch of these bikes with shipping damage to the forks at a nice discount price! For the money I saved, I ordered springer front ends to replace the damaged forks. I'm really liking the feel of the springer suspension. It does a decent job of smoothing out some of the bumps in the road at 30mph. 

I still need to get a disk or drum break for the front end. I've had a couple close calls with people pulling out in front of me with only the rear Kool-Stop brakes. I just haven't had the time to lace the wheel to either of these brake options. I should have time to do this sometime after January when the X-Mas sales are over. I'll have a LOT of free time for a few months after New Years!


Most of the time on this bike I spend in power level 3 and 4 between 15-20mph. I have too many obstacles on my daily commute to put her in 7th gear at power level 5 very often. It seems like every couple hundred feet I have a pedestrian or a car pulling out of a driveway, a traffic light, or something else in the way. When I have a clear path to travel, she'll get up to 30mph (50kph) without pedaling on level ground with the 11/46T sprocket combo I have for seventh gear in 5th power level.

I'm running it on a 48V 17.5Ah battery in a back pack at the moment. I think that after I build my battery box, I'll still keep it at 48V since this is not the improved model Luna sells. When I get the Luna 02B, I'll run it at 52V.





No comments:

Post a Comment