Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Cyclone 3000W Build (part 1)

About time!

The 3000W Cyclone motors are back in stock at my local supplier! I just ordered one for will call pickup on Tuesday at the warehouse.

 Cyclone 3000W motor kit.

It's been my plan to put it on another 7 speed In The Barrel from Sixthreezero I've been hiding in my home shop garage, but I'm beginning to wonder if a 3 speed Nexus Internal geared hub wouldn't be better for that much power? I just happen to have one I bought and put together yesterday sitting in the shop right now. I'll do both the 7 speed and the 3 speed eventually, I'm just trying to decide which one to use for the first prototype. 

It's my opinion that you don't need any more than three speeds with that much power!!! I may add a larger rear sprocket for a super amount of torque for hill climbing with the 3 speed Shimano Nexus IGH when I get around to it.

 Sixthreezero In The Barrel with Nexus 3 speed hub.

For starts from a stop, you're in second gear. After you get going, shift into third gear, and when going up hill, downshift into first gear. Can it get any simpler than that?
I'm thinking that for most applications, the Nexus three speeds are probably a better choice for most of the ebike motors at 750W and above for their simplicity and smooth shifting. At least for daily riders/commuters. You don't have to worry about that CLUNK when you shift like you do with a traditional 7 speed external derailleur setup. The 7 speed nickel plated freewheels available for 7 speeds are only one, and not the best quality. 

Unfortunately the 7 speed stuff is getting/has been phased out of the serious bike world. Ten and eleven speed seems to be the ticket these days, especially for mountain bikers. For now I'm working with what I have available. Next year when project Skunk Works Carbon is revealed, it won't be using a 7 speed drive train I can assure you! Not only my Skunk Works Carbon, but also my single track Fat Tire mountain/snow/beach sand bikes won't be using the 7 speed setup either!
This bike combo is not even close to being street legal. It's more than three times that! But it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun!

Like I always tell people, don't try selling disappointment with a 250 or 350W hub motor and a weak anemic 36V 8Ah Chinese made battery. Sell grins, sell BIG GRINS with plenty of power and a battery that will outlast customer expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment