Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Next Project Bike? 3Kw Mxus? Yeah, I Think So!

For the simple reason that the drop out space required is only 140mm with the Mxus 3Kw rear hub motor.


C&D photo does not mean that I'll be buying from them.

Other options require 150mm spacing. That's not an option if I want to keep using the Sixthreezero In The Barrel cruiser bikes. The 7 speed version has 135mm clearance in it's steel frame. Easy cheat with the proper tool 2.5mm per side. 

To disk break or not? I won't be using a rim break since I'll be using a motorcycle rim and tire. 
Rear Break Options:
1. Just use the regen brake. Plus = I's cheaper than anything else I can do. Minus = I don't have hills to get the most out of it.
2. Make a caliper bracket out of the custom axle brace I'll need to make anyway to use rear disk. Plus = not much more work than I already have to go threw making a custom axle torque brace for this model bike anyway. Would also be a better option for a fast street bike used for commuting in traffic. Minus = Can't really think of any except for more work in designing and building axle torque brace.

So I'm standing around at the bike warehouse today, looking at the 3Kw Cyclone project, wanting to get back at it, and I've been wanting to build a 2wd 3Kw Mxus bike for a while now. For a moment the thought interred my mind to put the Mxus motor behind the Cyclone! I may try it, but the drop out clearance is all wrong for the 3 speed bike I'm using for the Cyclone. Better off using one of the 7 speeds I have in storage for the 135mm clearance. Then one day make it into a 2wd 6Kw monster! 

The way I see it, the 3Kw Cyclone has too many problems to be paired up with a Mxus rear hub motor. First is the sprocket bearing. Right off, plan on spending another $125 from SBP for one that lasts. Then the controller. You already payed for one that won't do what yo want it to do, and have to spend another $200 - $300 for one that will make the motor do what you want. PITA if you ask me!

 For a fast 45MPH street bike I see no reason to deal with the Cyclone drive train issues. I'll be putting a lot of miles on mine this winter and spring with only a 14S9P battery. Next summer when business is good again, I'm thinking I'll upgrade the controller and double up on the battery in series for 104V to make it scream a bit. As I'm playing with that, I'll order the Mxus 3Kw hub motor and install it on a 7 speed ITB bike. I'll be able to use the doubled up 52V batteries in series for either bike, so no extra out of pocket costs on that. 

Which bike will be the first to get over 60MPH is the question?

Mxus will be the V3 version with thicker wires. Well worth the extra $55 in my opinion!



No comments:

Post a Comment