Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

E-Krate Demo Bikes Or Not?

The Bikes Schwinn should of, and I think would of made back in the 1970's if E-Bike technology existed back then! 

 

I have two more bikes I should sell, but I'm thinking I want to keep them. My own version of the Krate Stingray, but with motors, and made for adults.

Both are Firmstrong Urban Men's Beach Cruiser bikes. One is chrome single speed, and the other is candy red with Nexus three speed Internal geared hub. I'm thinking about making them demonstration ebike models. I would set them both up with 500w mid drive motors. Maybe the 1000w BBSHD would be a good option as well with front break upgrades.

For the chrome bike:
1. White pleated Banana seat and chrome sissy bar.
2. White vintage Schwinn style grips and block pedals.
3. Chrome springer forks.
4. Proprietary disk brake setup for springer forks to allow for better ebike breaking.
5. Ape hanger bars.
6. Chrome rear half fender just like the vintage Krate bikes.
7. White Wall Tires.




For the candy Red bike:
1. Red banana seat with chrome sissy bar. (Although, riding it home today with the ape bars, it would look equally bad ass with the regular seat with or without a rack).
2. Red vintage Schwinn style grips.
3. Ape hanger bars.
4. Black vintage Schwinn style block pedals.
5. Factory forks upgraded with brakes. The candy color is too cool to replace with a chrome or black springer fork setup. The more candy the better!
6. I'm thinking black diamond tread tires.
7. Chrome rear half fender just like the vintage Krate bikes.

 The bike I brought home today didn't have the white wall tires in this photo. Aside from having black tires, this is what I started out with this afternoon. I also found out that the ape bars I scored, are a bit rare these days, and expensive when you can find them. That makes them a super sweet score!



For Beach Cruisers, I'm impressed with this models welds. Other manufacturers, not so good. Here's a hint for you if you're out looking at a Beach cruiser to buy. Look at the welds where the two parallel bars meet the backbone and the seat tube. On some bikes, these parallel bars turn into the seat stays after passing the seat tube. On some bikes they end and another set are used for seat stays. In any case, look at the welds where these parallel bars connect to the back bone (top of frame triangle). If they look like a bird pooped them out, don't buy the bike!!! Not all Beach Cruisers are the same. Some are made better than others. Firmstrong makes a sturdy bike that weighs less than others.


 I'm also thinking about making a powerful LED rear light to look like the Stingray reflector. By powerful, what I mean is, bright enough to get dumb people to look up from their smart phones in time to keep from hitting you!


Look how the mini ape bars are at the kids waist height in the photo.


One thing I mean when I say these bikes are for adults, is that the bikes themselves are quite a bit bigger than a old Stingray. I'm 6'-2" and the ape bars are about 5" below my shoulders when standing next to the bike. This is very comfortable when riding the bike!

With the Firmstrong setup, the seat would also be lower than in the above photo, unless you play for the Lakers, and make me look like a short guy! Sliding back on the seat allows for a lower seat, and still allows for positive forward pedaling.

What about forward pedaling? Yeah, it's a good idea! All of the most expensive Beach Cruiser manufacturers are making one! The banana seat Stingray was around long before that, and was the original forward pedal bike! Not only that, but it's an adjustable forward pedal bike! Just slide forward or back to suit your comfort needs!!!


As a side note about all the Firmstrong bikes, for making a dependable and strong electric bike that won't fall apart on you, you couldn't do better for the price point with good welds, and lifetime guarantee for the basic bike before adding E stuff to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment