Search This Blog

Monday, July 31, 2017

Duke's Moto Electric Update #4 Bikes Bikes Bikes!

In an attempt to keep my inventory low, since I only have so much space to store them, I've decided on lowering all prices on all bikes.  

I did this last Saturday night by lowering the prices I was asking on Craigslist by $20. On Sunday morning, I was flooded with requests to see the bikes! I only had four last weekend for sale, and there is no way I can keep track of over 100 interested parties for that few bikes. By this Sunday I hope to have ten or fifteen bikes for sale!

I think I've come up with a solution to this problem. 
First, I'll post up all bikes for sale here on the blog as they become available. Blog followers will get first crack at them. 
Second, I'll post them on my Facebook page. People who follow my Facebook page will get a second crack at them. https://www.facebook.com/pg/DukesMotoElectric/posts/
Third, I'll post them on the local stuff for sale Facebook page. This page is what overwhelmed me last weekend. There was no way I could even reply to all the interested parties. I apologize if I never got back to anyone, I did try. 
Fourth is Craigslist. I sold half of the bikes from Craigslist adds last weekend, but I find the attitude there somewhat insulting. If I post a three speed bike for $200, don't ask me if I'll take $180. You won't leave with the bike for less than $220 if you do! I don't know what part of "This price is etched in stone" people on Craigslist don't understand.  If I'm selling a bike on Craigslist for $200, most likely it's a $265 - $300 bike to begin with, never ridden, and usually better than new! One guy asked me if I would take $50 for a bike I was selling for $100, that costs $165 retail. I replied "$150 for you!" Don't be insulting with your offers people! For a lot of these bikes for sale, if you ask me to take $20 off the price, you're asking for me to give you the bike for free. Profit margins are slim! Don't be an asshole or you can go pay retail!



I have a bunch of bikes coming in this week that were returned to the seller due to shipping damage or buyers regret. I don't always have brand new out of box bikes. Sometimes I do. Last weekend I did.

Each bike gets taken apart, grease in all the right spots, parts replaced with new if damaged, reassembled and professionally tuned. 

In some cases where paint scratches were the reason for the return, the entire bike is stripped down, repainted with five coats of enamel, and three coats of clear. I should charge at least $200 above retail price for this service since the paint job is much better than from the factory, but for these bikes. I will try to keep the price the same as retail. Just look up the price for a quality bike paint job. I bet it's around $300 bucks for a bike you already own! I may change my mind about this one day, but for now it's the same as retail for this service. The retail price is usually around 50% higher than I like to sell my bikes for, but you actually get more than what you pay for with new paint on the bike. It will never rust if it's made of steel unlike a factory paint job!


No comments:

Post a Comment