Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Duke's Moto Electric Update #4 (I Think?)

No news isn't always good news, but for DME it's been pretty good lately!


Bike Sales at Work and at Home
The busy season for bike sales is slowly coming to a close at work. This means less money to buy electric bike stuff, but it also means I'll have more time to work on ebike stuff! It's always a trade off. Four day weekends sound pretty damn good right now since I've been burning the candle at both ends for most of the summer.


Starting this weekend I'll be selling bikes all day both Saturdays AND Sundays from the home shop!  I've been working every Saturday this summer, and it's slowed down enough now that I don't really need to be there on the weekends. This should help my at home sales considerably.

I still have a ton of old inventory returns to go threw at work, so even if I don't have customer bikes to build, I can keep busy going threw those and either taking them apart for spare parts, or buying them for my at home sales, or even building some of them for store showroom bikes. This should last at least until Halloween if I pace myself and take a couple/few days off every week.


Ebike Stuff
I'm still waiting for the first TSDZ2 motor to arrive. Labor Day most likely is responsible for the shipping delay. I just wish it would hurry up! I need to order a bunch more of these mid drive motor setups for other bikes, but I need to do a torture test on one before I throw a bunch of money at them.


I'm still waiting on a bunch of other stuff I ordered to come in as well. I got the American to EU Bottom Bracket adapters, but I'm still waiting on the eccentric ones to come in. Even though I don't have the motor yet, I know I'll need to use the more expensive eccentric adapters. I even ordered a Park Tool bike building stand! Yeah, I didn't get the most expensive model, but at least I didn't cheap out and get some China made junk that wouldn't last one season! I don't even want to put together any more 7 speed bikes until the stand arrives. I've been using a large work cart and having to turn the bikes upside down to tune them, but it's a pain in the ass to build them this way. The stand will be SWEET to have!!! I also ordered a bunch of different handlebars and grip styles in different colors to check out, along with an assortment of tools that are on back order.


The battery cells and pack kit have arrived for the TSDZ2 motor! This will be a shop pack so potential customers can take the bikes with this motor on a test ride before ordering their own custom creation. I'm not overly impressed with the kit. I've found quite a few parts that are defective. I'm glad I ordered two kits. The two kits will let me assemble one good pack despite the defective parts.  I'll return the defective stuff when I get a chance. I know and trust the distributor of these kits, so I'm not worried about it. It's a start up operation, and I'm glad I was able to give him some support. I'll do a story on the kit and who makes it later after everything has been sorted out and I've had a few hundred miles under my belt with the battery cells.


The Cyclone 3000W motors at Luna Cycle have been out of stock for a while now, and there's no word from Luna as to when they will be back in stock.  I may take a ride up to Luna's new shop and try to buy a couple before they arrive so I can get them ASAP when they do come in. I can also build a shop battery pack for the Cyclone before the motors arrive so I'm ready to go when they do come in.





That's all for today. It's time to get to work!






No comments:

Post a Comment