Search This Blog

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Problems Need Solutions TSDZ2 Motor BB Adapters Cruiser Bikes

I've found three solutions to yesterdays bottom bracket frame clearance problem for the TSDZ2 Motors at reasonable prices, and one that's above what I want to pay for a simple adapter.


It didn't take long to find a few eccentric Bottom Bracket adapters. The first one I found was $150 so forget that! I found a couple for $51 and one for $30, and ordered all three of them last night.  

Two of the adapters are from Origin8. One extends out beyond the face of the frame more than the other. I'll bet that neither of them will work with the 68mm BB motor I just ordered. More than likely I'll have to get the 73mm version of the motor to use one of the adapters from Origin8. The one in the first photo probably won't work with these motors at all as it looks to have more than 5mm sticking out from the frame surface. The product page contains no info on the parts at all, so this is just a guessing game at the moment. I may of just ordered $102 worth of Origon8 paper weights.

Origin8 eccentric adapter

Origin8 eccentric adapter

Sun eccentric adapter

The adapter by Sun may be the correct fit, but who knows? Again the product page has zero info about the part. For just under $30 at least it won't be as expensive a paper weight as the Origin8 adapters! 


If none of these work out, I'll just have to drop a dime on the $130 Bushnell adapter. This one will work, and I know it because the product page comes with all the info about the part anyone could ask for! I would just hate to spend the extra $100 when the part by Sun should work the same.




Another solution I may have to consider, is resurfacing the BB shell down 5mm to make an adapter fit the 73mm motor. This would be a last resort since I would have to buy some expensive tools ($379 Park Tools), not to mention the extra labor involved in performing this procedure to every cruiser frame. I'm not even sure of weather or not this tool is designed to remove 5mm of material. I think it's only made to make a true surface where it may be a little off specs.





No comments:

Post a Comment