Search This Blog

Saturday, September 2, 2017

It's About E Time Part Two

I may of just hit a wall with my plan to use the 7 speed Cruiser bike from Beach Bikes of Torrance, Ca for my first project. 



I knew I would need an adapter to go from the factory American bottom bracket (BB) to European style sealed cartridge style BB. I ordered six adapters to convert a half dozen bikes to electric I have sitting in the garage.

Standard style American to EU adapter $12 USD.

Now this is where I think I hit the wall. With the standard adapter, the hole is in the middle of the part to fit the new cartridge style BB. Now I'm thinking that since this motor is designed to fit a frame already having a smaller EU style BB, that I will have clearance issues using the standard $12 adapter on a Cruiser bike.

This doesn't mean that the project is dead, only that it will have to wait for another day. I'll have to order an eccentric adapter to make it work. I may even have to try a few different models to find one that works for my application.

Eccentric American to EU adapter $150 EU!

You can see from the photo's above how the more expensive eccentric adapter will allow the motor to sit lower in the frame. Hopefully this will eliminate any frame to motor clearance issues. Now I'll have to locate one that is less expensive! I'll find a use for the $70 worth of adapters I've already ordered. I'm thinking that they may work for the Cyclone 2K and 3K motors and anyone who wants to upgrade their bike to a sealed cartridge BB and three piece crank on their cruiser. Stay tuned for the 3K build! I want that project done before Halloween!


So Now I need to use another bike. I have one! I'll be using another bike from Beach Bikes Torrance, Ca! The Explore Your Range 700c Commuter bike with aluminum frame! Originally I was going to use this bike for the first build just using a 500W rear Direct Drive hub motor that I have collecting dust down in the garage. I'll still use the hub motor, then add the mid drive for a full 1000W bike!


 The Explore Your Range 700c Commuter bike with aluminum frame from Beach Bikes, Torrance.

I've already adopted this bike as my daily commuter a couple months ago, so it will be an easy transition for me. I'm just waiting for the new tube with a longer valve stem to show up with my worthless BB adapters, then I can install the new hub motor and double walled rim it came with on the bike. Now I'll need two of these bikes! The 1000! version with two motors, and another one with just the 500W mid drive motor for customers to test ride before ordering their own bikes.


I'll get back to the Cruiser bikes just as soon as I'm finished building this one. I may even start on the 3000W Cyclone project before I get back on track. I want to see if these adapters I've already ordered will work with that motor!



No comments:

Post a Comment