Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

New BBSHD City Commuter Bike Sixthreezero Pave N' Trail

I've been having a ton of problems downloading photo's recently. My laptop has just missed my desire to chuck it out the window a dozen times now, and missed getting crunched under foot a half dozen times! 

I started a post last week where I took apart the In The Barrel bike I had the HD motor in that I've been riding every day for over a year, but the photo's didn't load to the computer. Probably for the best because after all the time I spent trying to get the photo's to the post, I had a bit to drink and started talking some truth. If I ever recover those photo's, I'll try again. Some interesting and good info about how to adapts a Bafang mid drive to a typical beach cruiser to be had using standard symmetrical BB adapters instead of having to locate the fancy overpriced eccentric adapters.



So let me start out by saying that I love this bike! I'm just not in love with it for me. I'm 6'2" @ 240lb. I feel a bit cramped. Probably best for people up to 6' tall. It hauls ass with me on it, but If I were to make her my everyday bike, I would change the rear wheel spokes to 13/14 single butted for strength elasticity and long life. If you're under 200lb, I wouldn't worry about it. Since I'm a bike mechanic these days anyway, I just torqued down the spokes on the rear wheel as far as they would go without pushing threw the rim or going full taco. This condition is as strong a setup as you can get, as long as you true the wheel while torquing the spokes down.


Rather than taking off the front derailleur and breaking the chain, I went the lazy route and left it on. I'll call it a chain guide. Don't need one with the Lekkie 46T narrow wide sprocket, but there it is. Chain has NO chance of dropping with this setup!



I haven't had a chance to take it for a real trial run yet, and I haven't added a shift power interrupt yet, but it feels a lot faster with the 7 speeds and 700c wheels than with the 26" wheels I've been using it with. I would of done one or two things different when building the next one, but overall she came out nice. That's what prototyping is for. Work out the bugs and find the best way to assemble the project. It only took me 3 hours to assemble. Most of the 3 hours was spent making the factory wire harness roughting look clean with some well placed zip ties.



The bike itself took longer to assemble since it was a poorly repacked returned bike from a customer with no mechanical aptitude. This should only take 1/2 hour to assemble and tune, but because of the bikes condition, it took almost 4 hours to restore to original condition. I hate it when that happens!


I had to change the rear shifter to use the ebreaks. The stock breaks and shifters are integrated on this model.


Aaaaand I forgot to take the last photo with the crank arms and pedals installed. So this is it! For now.


No comments:

Post a Comment