Search This Blog

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Next Project BBSHD?

I wanted to do a 2wd bike out of one of these a couple months ago. Now I'm thinking after having slept on the idea, that it would be better suited to a Mid drive or rear hub motor instead. 

Sometimes I get excited about an idea and overthink it. The 2wd for this bike may of been one of those moments. Sticker price for the bike is $400. RWD 1000w motor would be about $200, 1500w RWD motor would be around $235. Battery for these motors would be a 48v 17.5Ah pack or a 52v 20Ah pack with the option of upgrading to the EM3ev 25Ah 52v pack. Price range for battery packs are from $400 to slightly over $1000 depending on cells requested for the higher end EM3ev packs. I don't charge markup on parts, only for my labor. You're more than welcome to have your motors and batteries shipped to me for installation. I actually prefer that you do! That way all the manufacturers warranties are in your own name.


The Pave & Trail makes a good entry level ebike. Upgrades are always available in motors and or battery packs.

I should have the BBSHD model ready for test rides by the end of next week, since I now have a spare motor and 17.5Ah pack just lying around like some old ghost. Yeah, I already miss my old daily commuter bike, but the new version with 2wd just kicks it's ass by so much, and I can't stand just seeing it laying around as a back up bike. It's time to breath some new life back into this motor with a new bike! It's the perfect street legal motor that's capable of getting you a ticket none the less! I've turned many heads while hauling ass with the BBSHD, including the cops! Buss drivers must HATE me!



 The frame on this bike is perfect for either a traditional hard case 48v battery or a bigger better triangle pack from 48v to 52v! It's always better to get the biggest battery pack you can afford! They last years longer if you take care of them, and motor upgrades are easily available with a larger pack! It should be against the law to sell anything less than 12.5 Ah 48v!

 This week looks like it'll start out slow at work, then pick up pace by Friday. That should give me plenty of time to build this bike and make the ebike BBSHD conversion. It should provide me with a bit more speed with the slimmer 700c tires. For anyone 200lb and over, you will need to upgrade the rear spokes to 13/14 single butted for an additional $100 including labor. 

The bike will be 7 speed with any mid drive motor. With a rear hub motor it can keep the 21 speeds or be turned into a more simple 3 speed bike.


1 comment:

  1. Got a start on the bike today. I used a returned bike. It had a broken spoke, so I replaced the wheen, then spent a couple hours truing and adjusting the wheels I had before putting them on the bike. SUPER TIGHT and strong! Should last me a while. I really need 13/14 double butted for this bike. I'll get around to that one day. Tomorrow I should have a chance to pull then install the motor. I'll be too busy with X-Mas orders to build the rest of the week. I spent all afternoon today correcting stuff the customer screwed up on the bike! Sometimes with the way some of thes bikes come back on returns, I think it may be easier to train a
    Chimp to fly a Space Shuttle than show someone how to adjust and tune a simple bicycle! No respect after they screw it all up, then just dump everything back into the box without care.

    ReplyDelete