Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2018

Amazon Project Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)

KISS parts have all been ordered. Rear 1500W motor got it's tire & tube today! 1000W motor for the front wheel is in the mail!

Except for custom made torque arms (bike specific parts), and an upgrade on controllers, everything is in the Amazon mail! I installed a 7 speed freewheel today, and it'll be coming off tomorrow. I don't need or want the added mess of shifters on the bars! KISS requires a single speed freewheel! I'm not going to be pedaling this beast anyway, so why bother? This isn't a mid drive bike!

The Bike. Sixthreezero In The Barrel 7 speed (for the factory breaks. KISS).

The 1500W rear motor only comes with chrome spokes, so I hunted down a front 1000W motor with the same spokes. What a Pita that was! Getting things to match in the ebike world is just a pain in the ass! It's necessary to keep me from having to lace new spokes on a perfectly well built wheel with motor hub. That would go against the KISS concept and cost more for the customer. This bike is not meant to be expensive. That's why it's getting the Amazon motors. A bike with Leaf or Mxus motors would be 3x as much! 

Voilamart 26" Rear Wheel Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit, 48V 1500W 135mm.

1000W front wheel motor 100mm.

At first I'll try the factory provided 2 speed controllers just to see how well they work. They are limited to 35A, and will eventually be replaced with 40 or 60 Amp units. Since the two motors share the load, they should work well together. The factory controllers don't support LCD screens at the moment, but I don't care. All I want to know is how many volts I have left on my battery so I can charge up to 90% and stop discharge around 40% remaining for extended battery life. 

I'm thinking that the Cyclone thumb throttle with LED battery readout will be perfect on this bike! I just happen to have a spare one laying around someplace. Luna photo shows it upside down.

I wouldn't mind getting a Cycle Annalist 3.0, but that's too much junk on the bars for the KISS bike, and more info than it will need. It would be nice to program different parameters between the front and rear motors, but the front motor and rear motor should work well together considering their different power levels, windings, magnet width, etc.

That's it for now. I'll post about it again when all the stuff arrives.















No comments:

Post a Comment