Search This Blog

Friday, October 5, 2018

Gravel Bike Anyone?

I have so many projects already it makes my head spin sometimes thinking about them and all the parts involved, but I bought this bike anyway! Too good of a deal to pass up on. This will likely be my next commuter bike until I have the time and money to build the 2wd 6000W Mxus bike next summer when the bike business picks up again.

The 630 Pave & Trail. 


The Project Breakdown
1500W Mxus Rear Hub Motor.
1000W Front Hub Motor.
52V 14S9P Triangle Pack Battery.
650B or 27.5 wheels and tires.
Upgrade Forks.
Upgrade Crank Set To Single Speed. (No need for 3-sp crank set with over 2500W under your belt!)
Maybe drop bars to make it a true gravel bike? (see below photo)

First the 1500W rear hub motor and wheel. The bike comes with 700C wheels, so I know I can fit a 650B setup, but nobody offers the motor in that rim. I can get it in a 27.5 wheel, but I'll have to play with tire options to see how it fits. I would rather have the 650B with some nice gravel bike tires on it! If you read the advertisement on the Sixthreezero website about this bike, you would think it's perfect just the way it is. Well, considering the 650B rim is smaller with shorter spokes, it's stiffer than the 700C, and is more appropriate for off road use. What I'm doing is a serious upgrade even if I didn't make it electric. That also makes the 650B more appropriate for ebike use! The 650B winds up the same height as the 700C when you put a nice set of gravel bike tires on it! (See below photo)

Just look at how much more comfortable these 650B tires would be off road, or used on a ebike!

So, smaller stiffer wheels, and more cushion when hitting bumps on or off road with gravel bike tires! The tire height is the same as a 700C when you consider the size of the taller and wider more comfortable tires used.

I've seen these forks break at the crown with ebike hub motors in them, so that's going to be a non optional upgrade when I get the front motor! I'll change them out with better forks that accept front disk break. Rear motor will use regen breaking, so the V-Breaks are more than enough. Plenty of room for the EM3ev triangle battery in this frame! 

I've built a bunch of these bikes and sold them over the past year. They are rare to come into my possession, so I really dig it when I can get my hands on one of them! I like them! I'll like them much more as a 2500W ebike!

One last thing. The motors I'll be using, and considering the front motor helps out the rear, they can be over volted to use a 60V battery with a couple expensive controllers added vs the factory units. Yeah, this would make this 2wd bike go faster than most people would want to go on a bicycle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment