Search This Blog

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Both Wheels Installed On Bike Project Amazon K.I.S.S.

I had a little too much celebration last night, so I got a late start on things today.

Only a couple problems came up. First was the front wheel fitment on the forks. The axles are so much larger than a standard bike axle that it made tightening things down a bit dodgy. The forks have a generic safety feature where they are dished in to fit a standard bike axle washer. The larger ebike axle washers wanted to slide part way into that recess but not evenly. I used a couple of the C washers that come with the torque arms, but they didn't help since they just squished into the recess unevenly. I got it to work after chucking the C washers in the trash, but it was a pain in the ass.

The rear controller is close to the tire, but just makes it with 3/8" space.

Second was the cheap torque arm fitment on the rear wheel. Just not a good way to do it. I don't see these arms doing much good. Not a big problem though since I was planning on making my own custom set from the beginning anyway. Custom torque arms on the front motor will also take care of the washer issue. They would work great if I welded on some tabs instead of using the stupid hose clamps provided with the kits.

The bike looks great with matching wheels! Tomorrow I'll mount the controllers and measure for the wiring I'll be soldering connectors to. If I have time, I'll probably paint the controllers flat black to match the bike as well. Even though the rear tire and controller have just enough space to clear each other, I'm still considering flipping the larger controller around to the front side of the seat tube. The battery bag I'm using for the moment comes nowhere close to filling up the in frame space, so I think it would look better with the controller taking up some of that void. The smaller front motor controller can be bolted to the bottom of the battery bag and be hardly noticeable behind the chain guard.


More update photo's tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment