Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2018

K.I.S.S. Update #2

Update Number Two!

The only thing worse than sitting around waiting on parts to show up in the mail is not having the available funds to order them in the first place! I would of preferred to use Mxus 3Kw motors, but funds are not available this time of year for that project. Funds were available for this project, and now the waiting game has begun.

Added and changed a few parts.

I had the chance to do a little work on the project today. I changed the crank setup from silver to black, much better! I added a single speed freewheel, changed the silver rear breaks to black, and added a nickle plated KMC chain. All these parts except for the freewheel were off my shelf, so it cost me about $9 for the freewheel.

Silver breaks replaced with black.

I wound up using a set of breaks I'm not too fond of. I threw away the pads they come with, cleaned off all the old sticky Chinese grease from the pivot points and replaced it with nice marine grade grease, then replaced the pads with a good set, and they work great. I won't use them much after I change controllers. It'll use regen breaking with the new controller, but it's still nice to have something in back that works well.

One speed freewheel.

Now that the drive line is complete, I took it for a quick ride in front of my storage unit. It's geared a little high for foot power alone, but like I've said in previous posts, this bike won't be getting much use of the pedals beside ghost pedaling.

The new pedals with a close up of dorky looking temporary black sprocket.

I love these pedals. I need to order more of them so I don't have to keep taking them off one bike for another. I stole these from my 8-Fun BBSO2 powered 7 speed Firmstrong Urban beach cruiser. The O2 motor will be getting stolen out of that bike as well to be used on my girlfriends Nashiki Mixte hybrid road bike. I'll wind up using another 1500W rear drive DD hub on the Firmstrong bike, and getting more of these pedals for it. 

So now I'm just waiting on the front motor for this bike along with a few parts to show up in the mail.



No comments:

Post a Comment